ABSOLUTE BEST VEGAN CABBAGE ROLLS!
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 150 Minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours
- Yield: 8-10 servings
- Diet: Vegan
Vegan Cabbage Rolls! My vegetarian take on traditional stuffed cabbage recipe made vegan! with impossible meat. Taste just like moms! Perfect easy weeknight comfort food for the whole family. No one will believe it’s meatless!
- 1 (796 ml/28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (680 ml/24 oz) can tomato sauce (not tomato paste)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic (powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
FOR CABBAGE ROLLS:
- 2 packages (340 g/12 oz each) impossible burger ground beef
- 1 and 1/2 cups rice, cooked and cooled (white or brown rice)
- 1 medium- large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil, I use grapeseed or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 large green cabbage
Equipment needed: 9×13 casserole dish or 10×15 must be at least 3 inches or more deep.
- For tomato sauce: mix sauce ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
- For ‘Meat’ filling: Fry onions in a skillet over medium heat with the oil and a pinch of salt and pepper for 5-7 minutes until browning and softening. Stir in garlic and cook for a minute. Remove to a plate too cool. In a medium bowl add vegan ground beef, cold cooked rice, onion and garlic mixture, fennel and 1 tsp salt and another pinch of black pepper. Mix well. I usually mix by hand. Set aside
- Core and Cook cabbage: with a sharp knife cut around the stem of cabbage about 1 and 1/2 to 2 inches out from the stem and 3 inches or so down. Should resemble a cone when pulled out.
- Fill a large stock pot half way with water. Set to boil. When boiling add cabbage. After it’s been boiling for 3 minutes or so start pulling off leaves with tongs, 2 at a time. Once leaves are removed let boil for a couple of minutes then remove to a plate. Repeat process until you have 16-18 leaves.
- To roll, assemble and bake: Preheat oven to 325° Spread 1 cup of sauce in casserole dish. Set it close by.
- Lay each cabbage leaf on cutting board. Use a small knife to cut a V-shaped notch to remove the thick part of the cabbage rib.
- Place 1/4 cup of filling in centre of leaf, shape the mixture into a log. Roll up burrito style (step by step photos in above post)
- Place seam side down in casserole dish as you go. Repeat with remaining filling and cabbage leaves. I like the rolls to fit quite snuggly in the dish.
- Cover with remaining tomato sauce. Give dish a little shake to disperse sauce. Cover tightly with tin foil and bake for 2 hours and 45 minutes. Remove from oven let sit for 10 minutes or so before serving. Enjoy!
- To store and freeze: will keep in fridge for up to 4 days. Portion in containers and freeze for up to 2 months. Make sure they are completely cooked and cooled overnight in fridge before freezing. To reheat from frozen: defrost overnight in fridge and heat in microwave or oven.
- have not tested cabbage rolls with beyond beef!
- Category: Mains,
- Method: Bake/Oven
- Cuisine: European, American, Canadian
Serves 8Serving Size: 2 cabbage rollsCalories Per Serving: 278
% DAILY VALUE
16%Total Fat 12.5g0%Cholesterol 0mg20%Sodium 458.8mg9%Total Carbohydrate 23.9gSugars 15.2g35%Protein 17.3g