8 x 8 Baking Pan
- 4 cups butternut squash peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 shallots minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup of quinoa rinsed
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth or chicken broth if you aren’t vegetarian
- 1 ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs beaten (optional)
- ½ cup milk dairy, soy or almond
- 1 cup Gruyere or Vegan cheese shredded
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with olive oil. Add squash and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes.
Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and sage and cook for 8 minutes or until shallots are tender.
Add in garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add in quinoa and squash and stir for another minute.
Add in broth, black pepper, sea salt and cayenne pepper. Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low.
Cover and cook for 25 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
Move the quinoa mixture to an oven safe pan. In a small bowl, combine milk and eggs and pour over the quinoa mixture. Top with cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. If desired, broil for two minutes to brown the top.
Variations for Butternut Squash Quinoa Casserole
- For add a nutritional punch, add in 8 ounces of sautéed spinach or kale before baking.
- For a more traditional “holiday feel” Butternut Squash Casserole, omit the cheese. Instead mix ¼ cup melted butter, ¼ cup brown sugar, ½ cup toasted pecans, ½ cup oats and ¼ cup flour. Sprinkle on top of the casserole before baking.
- Saute 6 ounces chopped mushrooms and add to the mixture prior to baking.
Tips for Making Butternut Squash Casserole Recipes
- This makes a great side dish or vegetarian main course. To make this vegan, omit the eggs and add in an additional ¼ cup of nut milk. If you would prefer to skip the vegan cheese, breadcrumbs work great here too.
Calories: 292kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 80mg | Sodium: 692mg | Potassium: 606mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 10295IU | Vitamin C: 21.5mg | Calcium: 327mg | Iron: 2.5mg