Quick and easy spicy Naga chicken curry recipe made with tender chicken thigh, Naga chilli pickle, tomatoes, onions, and flavourful spicy curry sauce. One of the most popular spicy chicken curry in the takeaways and restaurants in the UK. Serve with plain basmati rice, naan, or chapati.
Course: Main CourseCuisine: Bangladeshi, British Indian, Indian Prep Time: 5minutes minutesCook Time: 25minutes minutes Servings: 4
- ▢Large pot or pan
- ▢450 gram Chicken thigh About 15.8oz, Boneless chicken thigh or breast, cut into medium bite-size pieces
- ▢1 tbsp Garlic paste
- ▢1 1bsp Ginger paste
- ▢2-3 Onion Shallot onion or brown onions
- ▢1-2 Tomato Finely chopped
- ▢1 tbsp Tomato puree Or tomato concentrate
- ▢1 tbsp Naga chilli pickle Add more or less to your taste
- ▢1½ tsp Salt or salt to taste
- ▢1 tbsp Kasuri methi Dried fenugreek leaves
- ▢1½ cup Water About 350ml, add more water if needed
- ▢3 tbsp Vegetable oil Or ghee
- ▢2-3 Green chilli Cut thin slices
- ▢handful Coriander Roughly chopped
- ▢1 tsp Chilli powder Kashmiri chilli powder or regular chilli powder hot or mild
- ▢1 tsp Turmeric powder
- ▢2 tsp Garam masala
- ▢1 tsp Cumin seeds Zeera seeds/Jeera seeds
- ▢5-6 pod Cardamom Green cardamom pods
- Heat the oil to medium heat, add cumin and cardamom pods. Let the spices sizzle for a few seconds, then add the chopped onions and saute for 1-2 minutes, until soft.
- Add garlic paste and ginger paste and continue stir until the onions are light brown. Then follow with the chilli powder, turmeric, and garam masala and stir for a few seconds.
- Next, add the chopped tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are reduced and oil starts to separate. Then stir in tomato puree. Add the chicken pieces, combine well with the curry paste, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the warm water and follow with Naga chilli pickle, Kasuri methi, and salt to taste.
- Close the lid and cook with low-medium for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Stir occasionally and add more water if needed.
- Finish with green chillies and chopped coriander. Serve with plain rice or choice of flatbread. Enjoy!