For the Filling:
- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (canned or fresh)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
For the Chimichangas:
- 4 low-carb tortillas (look for ones made with almond flour or coconut flour)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or avocado oil
- Sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Sliced jalapeños
For the Filling:
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground meat until browned. Drain any excess fat.
- Add chopped onion, minced garlic, and jalapeño pepper to the skillet. Cook for a few minutes until the vegetables are softened.
- Stir in the ground cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Cook for another minute to let the spices infuse.
- Add the diced tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes until heated through.
- Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the chopped cilantro and shredded cheese. Set aside.
For Assembling the Chimichangas:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Warm the low-carb tortillas in a dry skillet or microwave for a few seconds to make them pliable.
- Spoon a portion of the filling mixture onto the center of each tortilla.
- Fold in the sides of the tortilla and then roll it up from the bottom, creating a burrito-like shape.
- Place the rolled chimichangas seam-side down on a baking sheet.
- Brush the chimichangas with melted butter or avocado oil to help them crisp up in the oven.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until the tortillas are golden and crisp.
- Serve with your choice of optional toppings like sour cream, guacamole, salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, and jalapeños.
Enjoy your keto-friendly Mexican Chimichangas! Adjust the filling and toppings to your taste preferences.