yield: 8-10 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 30 MINUTES
total time: 45 MINUTES
- 8oz bacon
- 1lb Italian sausage links, casing removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Red chili flakes, salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups kale or spinach
- 1.5 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a large pot, fry bacon until crispy over medium-high heat. Remove bacon, set aside, and remove all but 2-3 Tbsp bacon drippings.
- In the same pot, fry sausage in bacon drippings, crumbling with wooden spoon, until browned and crumbly. Remove and set aside.
- Add chopped onions to same pan, sauté until translucent. Add garlic, cook until fragrant.
- Add chicken broth, cauliflower, oregano, thyme, red chili flakes, salt and pepper. Mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cook until cauliflower is fork tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Optional – Remove about half of the cauliflower and blend in a blender or food processor, then stir back into the pot. This thickens the soup.
- Add about 3/4 of the meat mixture, saving some aside for garnishing.
- Stir in kale or spinach and cook 2-3 minutes, until wilted.
- Reduce heat to low, add heavy cream, stir nicely and allow flavors to mix together for a few minutes.
- Taste. Add additional salt, pepper, red chili flakes, thyme and oregano as desired.
- Serve in your favorite bowl and garnish with more bacon and sausage along.
Yield10Serving Size1Amount Per ServingCalories425Total Fat34gSaturated Fat16gTrans Fat0gUnsaturated Fat18gCholesterol92mgSodium1464mgCarbohydrates9gNet Carbohydrates6gFiber3gSugar4gProtein22g