Learn how to make old fashioned Scottish Mince and Tatties – just like Granny used to make! It’s a cheap, easy, nourishing and comforting meal the whole family will love.
- 500g pack Minced beef (I usually go for one with a 10-15% fat content)
- 1 Oxo Beef Stock Cube
- 1 Large Onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 Carrots, peeled and chopped into small dice
- Around 400ml of beef gravy, made with bisto gravy powder OR beef stock
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce , Optional
- Place a large saucepan over a medium high heat and brown the mince, breaking it up with a fork to separate it. Crumble in the Oxo cube, add the onions and continue to cook on a high heat until the mince has browned and no traces of pink remain.
- Add the diced carrots, the gravy or beef stock and the Worcestershire sauce, if using. Turn the heat to low-medium, pop on a lid and cook for at least an hour or until the mince is nice and soft and the gravy has thickened. Season to taste. That’s all there is to it!
- Cook your tatties, mash them with lots of butter (some people add milk but I don’t usually bother) and season to taste with salt and pepper.
YIELD: 4 SERVING SIZE: 1
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 409TOTAL FAT: 23gSATURATED FAT: 9gTRANS FAT: 1gUNSATURATED FAT: 11gCHOLESTEROL: 105mgSODIUM: 1078mgCARBOHYDRATES: 13gFIBER: 2gSUGAR: 4gPROTEIN: 37g