- 4 pounds eggplant
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- 1 ½ cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- 3 ounces vegetarian Parmesan cheese or vegan Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning make sure it is gluten free
- 4 cups marinara sauce use a low-sugar brand like Rao’s
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese sliced or shredded Daiya
- fresh basil for topping
Peel eggplant and cut into ⅓ inch rounds. Layer in a colander, sprinkling each layer with salt. Allow to sit for 30 minutes and then pat dry. (If you aren’t a fan of salt you can rinse and pat.)
Spread ½ cup of sauce in the bottom of the slow cooker.
Whisk together the eggs and milk in a shallow bowl. Stir together breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning in a separate bowl. Dip eggplant in egg mixture and then in the breadcrumbs.
Layer ⅓ of the slices in the slow cooker. Top with 1 cup sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers two more times. Cook on low for eight hours.
If desired, top with fresh basil leaves.
Calories: 258kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 1380mg | Potassium: 678mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 775IU | Vitamin C: 9.1mg | Calcium: 317mg | Iron: 1.7mg