• ▢4 to 6 catfish fillets (1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
• ▢1 cup buttermilk
• ▢3/4 cup plain cornmeal
• ▢1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• ▢3 teaspoons garlic powder
• ▢3 tablespoons lemon pepper seasoning
• ▢vegetable or peanut oil for frying
• ▢Rinse catfish fillets under cool water and lightly pat dry. Add the buttermilk to a shallow dish and coat the fillets in the buttermilk; set aside.
• ▢In a shallow bowl stir together the cornmeal, flour, garlic powder, and lemon-pepper seasoning. Allow excess buttermilk to drip off each filet then coat in the breading mixture, pressing lightly to ensure a thick crust. Allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
• ▢Pour the oil into a deep cast-iron skillet to a little less than halfway full. Heat the oil over medium-high heat until the oil reaches about 350°F.
• ▢Fry in batches for 5 to 6 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Serve immediately with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and my Dill P