SERVINGS 6 servings
PREP TIME30 mins
COOK TIME20 mins
COOLING TIME30 mins
TOTAL TIME1 hr 20 mins
For the Filling:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 pound brown button mushrooms quartered (large ones diced)
- 3 stalks celery finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon glucomannan
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley OR use 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped thyme OR use 1/8 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary OR use 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 4 cups mashed cauliflower (click for my recipe!)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese cheddar is a classic!
- Brown meat: Add oil to large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until browned. Drain if desired, then stir in onion, garlic, mushrooms, celery, salt, pepper and paprika and cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Finish filling: Stir tomato paste into dish. Pour red wine into pan, scraping any browned bits off the bottom. Whisk beef broth and glucomannan well in a large measuring jug, then stir into pan along with all herbs and green beans. Simmer for 4-5 minutes, or until thickened (it will thicken more as it sits). Pour into DEEP 7×11 inch baking dish and set aside to cool.
- Combine mashed cauliflower and egg yolks in a medium bowl until smooth. Stir in 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
Assemble and bake:
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Spread prepared cauliflower mash over shepherd’s pie filling and top with the remaining cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbly. Remove from the oven and let sit on the counter for 5 minutes before serving.
Serving: 1servingCalories: 402kcalCarbohydrates: 14gProtein: 23gFat: 28gSaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 175mgSodium: 747mgPotassium: 978mgFiber: 5gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 507IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 178mgIron: 3mg