- 1 head green cabbage
- 1 onion diced
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley or 2 tablespoons fresh
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme or ½ tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup diced zucchini or carrots
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan rennet free
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 cups marinara
- Remove the core from the cabbage. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cover and cook cabbage for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Place in cold water. Peel 12 leaves for the rolls, cutting the thick vein from the leaves as necessary. Drain on towels.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Meanwhile, spray a medium saucepan with olive oil. Add onion and pepper and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until tender.
- Add quinoa, garlic, and tomato paste and sauté for 2 minutes. Add vegetable broth, parsley, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 30 to 35 minutes. Stir in zucchini and Parmesan cheese and re-cover.
- Allow to sit off the heat for 5 minutes. Cool slightly and stir in the egg.
- Divide the quinoa mixture among the prepared cabbage leaves. Roll up leaves to enclose the filling. Place seam side down in a casserole pan.
- Top with the marinara
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Allow to sit for 10 minutes and serve.
Calories: 333kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 1540mg | Potassium: 1328mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 2201IU | Vitamin C: 139mg | Calcium: 247mg | Iron: 5mg