Servings: 2 people
Pad Thai Sauce Ingredients
- 1 ½ tablespoon tamarind paste store-bought
- 2 tablespoon vegan fish sauce store-bought or homemade
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon panela sugar
- 2 teaspoon lime juice
Pad Thai Ingredients
- 1 block firm tofu
- 180 g rice noodles
- 2 shallots finely sliced
- 1 ½ carrots shredded
- ¼ broccoli cut into florets
- 1 green onion
- 2 handful bean sprouts
- 50 g roasted peanuts crushed
- A handful fresh cilantro chopped
- Chillie flakes to taste
- Make the Pad Thai Sauce combining the tamarind paste, vegan fish sauce, soy sauce, panela sugar and lime juice.
- Pan-fry the tofu at a medium-low temperature while you keep turning the tofu pieces to cook each side until golden. It may take a bit longer than baking or deep frying it, but it’s definitely worth it. Take the tofu out of the pan and reserve for later.
- Soak the rice noodles following the packet instructions. Keep stirring the noodles while they are soaking (it shouldn’t take more than 4-5 minutes) so they don’t stick.
- Prepare all the ingredients for the stir-fry: Cut the carrot into thin slices, cut the broccoli into florets, finely slice the shallot and green onions or chinese chives, chop the cilantro, and crush the peanuts.
- Turn the heat to medium-high heat and add the shallots finely sliced. Sautee for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the carrots, broccoli and green onions. Sautee for a few minutes. If you are using chinese chives you can add these a bit later.
- Add the noodles, pad thai sauce, bean sprouts, and tofu. Stir until all the ingredients are combined and noodles have softened d the sauce has reduced.
Serve and add fresh chopped cilantro and crushed peanuts. You can add at this point chili flakes and a squeeze of lime.
NutritionCalories: 650kcal | Carbohydrates: 102g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 164mg | Sodium: 1103mg | Potassium: 399mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 5346IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 332mg | Iron: 5mg