- 8 oz (about 2 cups) whole wheat ziti or penne pasta
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey or chicken
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (24 oz) jar of reduced-sugar marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions, but make sure to cook it al dente (firm to the bite). Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground turkey or chicken over medium heat until it’s no longer pink. Break it up into crumbles as it cooks. Drain any excess fat and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add a little bit of cooking spray and sauté the chopped onion and minced garlic until they’re softened and fragrant.
- Add the cooked turkey or chicken back into the skillet with the onion and garlic. Stir in the dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and pepper. Cook for another minute or two to let the flavors meld together.
- Add the marinara sauce to the skillet and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Combine the cooked pasta and sauce mixture in a large bowl and toss until everything is well coated.
- Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and spread half of the pasta mixture evenly on the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese over the pasta, then add the remaining pasta mixture on top.
- Finish by sprinkling the rest of the mozzarella cheese and the grated Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
This recipe makes about 8 servings. Remember to adjust the portion size based on your specific Weight Watchers plan. Enjoy your Baked Ziti!