- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 cups sliced okra
- Cooked white rice, for serving
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the flour and stir continuously to make a roux. Cook the roux, stirring frequently, for about 30 minutes or until it is a deep brown color.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano, and bay leaf to the pot. Stir well to combine and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the andouille sausage and chicken to the pot and stir to combine. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the chicken is lightly browned.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, and okra to the pot and stir well. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 1 hour, or until the gumbo is thick and flavorful.
- Serve the gumbo over cooked white rice, and garnish with chopped parsley.
Enjoy your delicious homemade gumbo!