Yield: 12 muffins OR one 9×5 inch loaf
Servings: 12 servings
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Cooling time: 20 mins
Total Time: 55 mins
- 1 ½ cups flour (180 g, adjust if alter batch size), such as white whole-wheat, spelt, all-purpose, or a blend of any of these – *Try it with 1 cup white whole-wheat and ½ cup spelt flour!
- ⅓ cup plus 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon, optional
- ⅛ teaspoon chile powder, optional
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne, optional
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup neutral oil, such as walnut or grapeseed – or applesauce
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar – enhances the chocolate flavor and helps with rise
- 1 cup grated zucchini, from about 1 small/medium zucchini
- ½ cup chopped raw walnuts, optional
- 1 ½ ounces chopped dark chocolate, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and oil a standard muffin pan or 9×5-inch loaf pan.
After grating the zucchini, gently squeeze out the excess moisture. Set aside.
In a large bowl sift together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices, if using. *If using a whole-grain flour such as spelt, sifting might separate out some of the fiber; add it to the bowl. Whisk to fully combine all dry ingredients.
In a medium bowl whisk together the sugar, milk, flax meal, vanilla, oil and vinegar.
Pour wet ingredients into dry, and stir just until combined. Fold in the zucchini and walnuts. Scoop batter into the prepared pan, and sprinkle the top(s) with chopped dark chocolate, if using.
Bake muffins for 18 to 20 minutes and a loaf for 50 minutes to 1 hour. The bread is done when the center is firm and a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs. Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Store leftover zucchini bread in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Chocolate zucchini bread/muffins can be frozen for up to 1 month. Thaw in the refrigerator.
Estimated Nutrition (per serving)
Calories: 210kcalCarbohydrates: 32gProtein: 4gFat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 114mgFiber: 4gSugar: 19gVitamin A: 50IUVitamin C: 4.1mgCalcium: 60mgIron: 1.4mg