9×13 Baking Dish
- 1/2 cup sliced onions I used white onions.
- 3-4 pounds turkey wings Whole or split.
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil Use enough to coat each wing.
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried or ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chicken or turkey broth
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place the sliced onions into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
Pat the wings dry. Place the wings in the dish and drizzle both sides of the wings olive oil and then sprinkle the spices onto both sides of the wings. Be sure to use enough spices to cover the skin of both sides of the wings. Add additional as necessary to prevent bland wings.
Rub the spices into the wings.
Pour the broth along the edges of the baking dish, avoid pouring it directly onto the wings (which will remove the spices).
Cover the dish with foil and bake for an hour and a half.
Remove the foil and allow the wings to bake for an additional 20-30 minutes or until the skin is crisp. You can test if the wings have finished cooking by using a meat thermometer. Test the thickest part of the wing and ensure the turkey has reached a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees.
See notes for how to make wings with really crispy skin.
Cool before serving.
- Turkey legs will follow a similar cook time and at the same temperature.
- You can also use chicken drumsticks. Be sure to test if the chicken is done my inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest parts of one of the pieces of chicken. Chicken must be cooked to an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees.
- You will need to use a meat thermometer. Insert the meat thermometer into the thickest part of one the turkey wings. According to the USDA, Poultry must be cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- The wings are baked and covered at a lower temperature initially, in order to cook the turkey throughout. After the wings have baked for an hour and a half, remove the wings from the baking dish. Adjust the heat on the oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and then place a wire wrack on top. Place the wings on the rack and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until crisp. The air flow will crisp the chicken.