Indulge in the savory flavors of the Mediterranean with our Vegan Spanakopita, a contemporary rendition of the traditional Greek dish. This plant-based version captures the essence of the original while celebrating the richness of fresh, wholesome ingredients. Ideal for both vegan enthusiasts and those looking to expand their culinary horizons, this recipe transforms the classic layers of phyllo dough, spinach, and feta into a delightful symphony of flavors.
For the vibrant filling, combine 1 pound of fresh spinach, finely chopped leeks or green onions, fresh dill, parsley, scallions, crumbled firm tofu, nutritional yeast, and a touch of olive oil and lemon juice. This thoughtful selection of ingredients not only ensures a delightful texture reminiscent of feta but also infuses the dish with an array of Mediterranean herbs.
To achieve the perfect flaky layers, opt for a package of vegan phyllo dough, ensuring it’s thawed according to package instructions. Brushing each delicate layer with olive oil enhances the texture, resulting in a golden-brown, crisp finish that will leave your taste buds yearning for more.
Begin by sautéing leeks or green onions in olive oil until softened, then add the chopped spinach, allowing it to wilt and releasing excess liquid. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked spinach mixture with the remaining filling ingredients, ensuring a harmonious blend of flavors.
Layering is key to the structure of the spanakopita. Carefully stack and brush eight phyllo sheets, generously layering the spinach-tofu mixture, and repeating the phyllo layering process until a delightful pastry is formed. Score the top layers for a professional touch and ease of serving.
Bake this masterpiece in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 40-45 minutes, or until the top achieves that perfect golden hue. Allow the spanakopita to cool briefly before cutting along the scored lines, revealing a visually stunning and mouthwatering dish that is as delightful to the eyes as it is to the palate.
Our Vegan Spanakopita is more than just a plant-based twist on a Greek classic; it’s a culinary journey that marries tradition with innovation. Elevate your dining experience with this delectable creation, perfect for gatherings, special occasions, or simply savoring the richness of Mediterranean cuisine in the comfort of your own home.
For the Filling:
- 1 pound (about 450g) fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped leeks or green onions
- 1 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 1 cup crumbled firm tofu (to mimic feta cheese texture)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Phyllo Layers:
- 1 package (about 16 sheets) vegan phyllo dough, thawed according to package instructions
- 1/2 cup olive oil (for brushing between layers)
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Prepare the Filling:
- In a large pan, sauté leeks or green onions in olive oil until softened.
- Add chopped spinach and cook until wilted. Allow excess liquid to evaporate.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked spinach mixture with chopped dill, parsley, scallions, crumbled tofu, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Layer the Phyllo Dough:
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a clean surface.
- Brush lightly with olive oil and place another sheet on top. Repeat until you have 8 sheets stacked, brushing each layer with olive oil.
- Add the Filling:
- Spread the spinach-tofu mixture evenly over the layered phyllo sheets.
- Top with More Phyllo Layers:
- Repeat the layering process with the remaining phyllo sheets, brushing each layer with olive oil.
- Score the Top:
- Using a sharp knife, gently score the top layers into squares or diamonds. This will make it easier to cut after baking.
- Place the spanakopita in the preheated oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and crispy.
- Allow the spanakopita to cool for a few minutes before cutting along the scored lines. Serve warm.
Enjoy your delicious vegan Greek spanakopita! You can customize the filling ingredients based on your preferences and add other herbs or spices for extra flavor.