This is the Best Lemon Pound Cake on the Internet! Tart, sweet, and filled with lemon flavor, you will adore this classic recipe with a secret ingredient for years to come!
Servings: 16 slices
For the Pound Cake:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature one brick
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 package lemon instant pudding (just use the mix/don’t cook this!) 3.4 ounce
- 6 large eggs room temperature
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
For the Lemon Glaze:
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Optional: lemon zest for garnish
For the Pound Cake:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Add room temperature cream cheese, butter and salt to large mixing bowl and begin creaming on high speed until smooth.
Slowly add sugar and instant pudding to bowl and cream until light and fluffy which takes about 5-7 minutes.
Lower speed of mixer to medium and add one egg at a time and mix until incorporated.
Slow mixer to slowest speed and add flour one cup at a time into bowl until just incorporated.
Do not overbeat at this point.
Add lemon zest to bowl and mix.
Once everything is incorporated, pour cake batter into greased and floured or baking sprayed 12 cup bundt or tube pan.
Bake for 1 hour and 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove cake and place on cooling rack for an hour or until it is completely cooled.
For the Glaze:
Whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. If it is too runny, add a bit more sugar or if it is too thick, add a little bit more lemon juice. You want to consistency to coat the back of a spoon but slide off easily.
Drizzle on top of cooled cake, sprinkle with lemon zest and serve.
- Use room temperature butter and cream cheese. The extra softness allows more air to incorporate into it while you’re beating it.
- Beat the butter, cream cheese, and sugar really well together for about five to seven minutes. More air equals a lighter cake especially since no other leaveners are used in this lemon cake recipe.
- Adding the flour. Use the lowest speed on the mixer and don’t overbeat.
- Be sure to preheat your oven. This step ensures more consistency and even cooking.
- Allow the cake enough time to cool. If the cake is hot the glaze may melt rather than harden.
Calories: 494kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 130mg | Sodium: 251mg | Potassium: 76mg | Sugar: 41g | Vitamin A: 820IU | Vitamin C: 1.7mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 0.6mg