- 1 cup dried green or brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt, to taste
- 2 cups chopped spinach or kale
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Prepare the Lentils:
- Pick through the lentils to remove any debris or stones. Rinse them under cold water and drain.
- Sauté the Vegetables:
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, carrots, and celery. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the Aromatics:
- Add the minced garlic, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika (if using), turmeric (if using), and black pepper. Cook for another 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Combine Tomatoes and Lentils:
- Add the can of diced tomatoes (with their juices) and the drained lentils to the pot. Stir everything together.
- Add Broth and Simmer:
- Pour in the vegetable or chicken broth and add the bay leaves. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and let it simmer for about 25-30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- Season and Add Greens:
- Taste the soup and add salt as needed. Stir in the chopped spinach or kale and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until the greens are wilted.
- Finish with Lemon Juice:
- Remove the bay leaves and stir in the lemon juice. Taste again and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
- You can add other vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, or sweet potatoes for extra flavor and nutrition.
- If you prefer a spicier soup, you can add a pinch of red pepper flakes or some chopped chili peppers.
Enjoy your WW lentil soup!