For the Sauce:
• 1 teaspoon of olive or vegetable oil
• 1 small white onion finely chopped
• 2 cloves of garlic minced
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
• 3 whole dried ancho chiles
• 1 14.5-ounce can of Hunt’s Fire Roasted Tomatoes undrained
• 1 10-ounce can of RO*TEL Tomatoes undrained if you don’t like spice, you can use a second can of the Hunt’s Fire Roasted Tomatoes instead
• 1 cup of chicken or beef broth
• salt and pepper to taste
For the Meat:
• 2 teaspoons of olive or vegetable oil
• 3 1/2 pounds beef chuck roast or stew meat cut into 1 and 1/2 inch cubes
For the Sauce:
Place the chiles in a bowl and pour boiling water over them to cover. Let sit for 10 minutes.
While the chiles are soaking, heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onion and cook 4-6 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Add the cumin, oregano, Hunt’s Fire Roasted Tomatoes, RO*TEL tomatoes and chicken broth to the pot. Turn up the heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
Take the chiles out of the hot water and cut in half; remove the seeds and stems.
Place the chiles in a blender along with the tomato mixture and blend until completely smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
For the meat: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Heat the oil in a large pot. Season the beef with salt and pepper to taste. Place the meat in the pot in a single layer and cook for 4-6 minutes or until browned. You may need to do this step in batches.Place all of the browned meat into the pot and pour the sauce over the top. Cover the pot and bake for 3 hours or until meat is very tender. Serve the meat with tortillas, Mexican rice, pinto beans, chopped cilantro, cheese, lime wedges, radishes and sour cream.
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS: Prepare the sauce as directed. Season the meat with salt and pepper and place in the slow cooker. Pour the sauce over the meat. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.