1 pound elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2-3 cups milk I often use 2 cups. Use your judgement. Start with 2 and add more if needed.
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika Adjust to taste. I like to use 1 teaspoon for smoky flavor.
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded gouda cheese
1 cup shredded gruyère cheese
1. Preheat smoker to 225 degrees.
2. Cook the pasta in a large pot in accordance with the instructions on the package.
Drain the pasta and rinse with cold water.
3. Heat a saucepan or skillet on medium heat. Add the butter and allow it to melt.
Once melted, add the flour and whisk.
This will create a roux. Continue to whisk until the four is fully combined.
4. Add the milk and heavy whipping cream and stir.
5. Add half of all of the shredded cheeses and stir until the cheese is melted.
6. Add the onion powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper to taste. Taste repeatedly. This step is important because this sauce is what the mac and cheese will taste like. Adjust and add additional spices if necessary.
7. Return the pasta to the large pot. Drizzle the cheese sauce over the pasta and stir until fully combined.
8. Spray a 12 inch cast iron with cooking oil. You can also use a 9×13 inch baking dish.
9. Begin to layer in the pasta. Start with the pasta, then add a layer using some of the remaining shredded cheese. Add another layer of pasta, and then another layer of cheese.
10. Smoke for 1-2 hours until the cheese on top has melted.
11. Once the dish is finished smoking, I place it in the oven on Broil for 3 minutes until browned on top. (This is optional, to create a crusty top)