This Southern Fried Cabbage with Bacon is the perfect soul food side dish. Made with cuts of cabbage that cook in bacon fat and seasonings until tender.
- 4 pieces thick-cut bacon chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small head of cabbage chopped into 1 inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
First, place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium heat until crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, and drain any excess grease, leaving 2 Tablespoons in the pan.
Add the onion cook for about 4 minutes, until the onions begin to soften. Then add the garlic and cook an additional minute.
Add the cabbage, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper flakes, and brown sugar, and continue to cook and stir for about 10-15 minutes, until the cabbage is coated and begins to shrink and soften.
Turn off the heat add the bacon back to the skillet and stir to combine. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy.
- Keep the heat on medium heat to avoid the bacon, onions, or cabbage from burning.
- If you find that you’re cabbage is looking a little dry, reduce the heat and pour in a little water or chicken broth.
- I cook my cabbage for about 10-15 minutes which leaves a little bit of crunch. Feel free to cook the cabbage longer to your desired tenderness.