- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb vegan ground, I used Beyond Meat
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne or chipotle, optional
- 3 tablespoon brandy or white wine, optional
- ½ cup pasta sauce, pomodoro or marinara
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup soy milk, or cashew or light coconut milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- salt and pepper, to taste
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small onion or shallot
- 4 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup olive or capers brine, optional
- 1 teaspoon vegan lactic acid, or 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon liquid aminos, or tamari
- salt and pepper, to taste
Add the chopped potato and carrots to a large pot. Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil until the potatoes are cooked for about 15 to 20 minutes.1 medium potato,1 medium carrot
Remove from heat. Add the cooked potato and carrot to a bowl with the cooking liquid. Set aside to cool.
Return the empty pot to the stove over medium heat. Allow any remaining liquid to evaporate then add the oil.2 tablespoon oil
Add the onions and cook until they start to brown for about 3 minutes.1 large onion
Add the garlic with the vegan ground. Use a spoon to break it up into smaller pieces. Cook until it’s browned for about 5 minutes.2 cloves garlic,1 lb vegan ground
Lightly season with salt and pepper. Many of the other ingredients already have salt added. It’s best to be light-handed with the salt at the beginning and add more if needed at the end of cooking.salt and pepper
Stir in the paprika, cayenne/chipotle, brandy and pasta sauce. Cook for 4 minutes while scraping the browned bits off the bottom of the pan.1 teaspoon paprika,½ teaspoon cayenne or chipotle,½ cup pasta sauce,3 tablespoon brandy or white wine
Pour in veggie stock and soy milk. Add the bay leaf. Cover and bring to a boil for about 3 minutes at high heat.3 cups vegetable stock,½ cup soy milk,1 bay leaf
Remove the lid and stir in the macaroni. Cover and cook for 9 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent the pasta from sticking.8 oz elbow macaroni
Meanwhile, in a blender, combine cooked potato and carrots with the remaining ingredients for the cheese sauce. Add ¼ cup of the cooking liquid and blend until creamy. Season lightly with salt (about ½ tsp) and pepper. Again, you can always add more at the end.1 clove garlic,1 small onion or shallot,4 tablespoon nutritional yeast,¼ cup olive or capers brine,1 teaspoon vegan lactic acid,1 teaspoon liquid aminos,salt and pepper
Reduce the heat to low and stir in the vegan cheese sauce. Continue to cook on low until it thickens for about 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and serve warm.
- Lactic acid, apple cider vinegar, olive brine and capers brine all give the sauce a sharp, cheesier taste. Use one or a combination of all of them and adjust to your taste.
- You can also use 1 ½ cups (170g) of your favourite brand of vegan cheddar cheese in place of the cheese sauce.
- Try soy crumbles, cooked lentils or your preferred brand of meatless ground for this recipe.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container or in the freezer for up to a month.
- Reheat in the microwave or stovetop with a bit of water added.
- Recipe adapted from New York Times.
- More vegan one-pot recipes: Sweet Potato Chili, One-Pot Pasta, Jambalaya.