- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked (75g)*
- 1 cup cashew milk (250 ml)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast (20g)
- 1 tbsp miso paste (20g)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (15g)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (12g)
- 1 small onion (100g)
- 1 lbs container of mushrooms (450g)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 8 oz gluten free pasta (224g // any shape you like)
- 3 ½ cup vegetable broth, divided (875ml)
- Over medium high heat, add the diced onions and garlic and cook until lightly browned (2-3 minutes). Add in the sliced mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper, and cook until the mushrooms shrink and the liquid has cooked off (6-8 minutes)
- In the mean time, blend the stroganoff sauce ingredients together until smooth. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add in 3 cups of vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add in the pasta and stroganoff sauce mixture.
- Stir and cook for 10-12 minutes until the noodles have cooked. If at any point the liquid has cooked off too much, add in the extra 1/2 cup of broth as needed. Add salt and pepper to taste before serving. Garnish with chives, scallions, parsley and/or vegan parmesan.
- Recipe inspired by Caitlin Shoemaker / From My Bowl.
- *For a blender-free option: If you already have cashew cream on hand, you can replace the total amount of cashews and cashew milk (so you would need 1 + 1/3 cup cashew cream). You can also sub the cashews with cashew butter, tahini or thick vegan yogurt in weight and add the sauce ingredients directly to the pot in step 3, whisking the sauce with the broth to ensure everything is well mixed together.
- Leftovers: This Stroganoff keeps well in the fridge for 2-3 days. If it looks like the sauce has dried out quite a bit, add back in 2-3 tbsp of non-dairy milk and mix. Reheat on the stove over medium low heat or microwave for 1-2 minutes until heated through.
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).