PREP TIME10 minutes
COOK TIME35 minutes
TOTAL TIME45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2-3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- ½ lb (250 g) crimini (closed cup) mushrooms
- ½ lb (250 g) shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup (150 g) pearl barley, rinsed
- 6 cups (1.5 liter) vegetable stock
- 2 cups (75 g) baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven and cook the onion, carrot and celery for 5-6 minutes over medium heat until softened.
- Add the garlic and fresh thyme and continue to cook for another minute.
- Next, stir in the crimini and shiitake mushrooms and cook for 8-10 minutes until the mushrooms reduce in size and are slightly golden.
- Stir in the tomato paste, then add the pearl barley and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes or until the pearl barley is tender.
- Add the baby spinach and cook for 1-2 more minutes until wilted.
- Season to taste and serve, sprinkled with some freshly chopped parsley if you like.
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 150TOTAL FAT: 4gSATURATED FAT: 1gTRANS FAT: 0gUNSATURATED FAT: 3gCHOLESTEROL: 0mgSODIUM: 729mgCARBOHYDRATES: 25gFIBER: 5gSUGAR: 6gPROTEIN: 4g