- large bowl
- 4 qt stove top pot
- large skillet
- 9″ pie plate or 10″ oven proof quiche dish
- Cutting board
- wooden spoon or spatula
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cup
- strainer or colander
- 2 tablespoon non-dairy butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1-½ C spinach cooked, thoroughly drained and chopped (approx 1.5 lbs fresh spinach before cooking)
- 1 C mushrooms sliced
- 1-½ C vegan cheese grated or diced
- ¾ C vegan egg replacer* equivalent using JUST egg vegan egg substitute
- 1 C non-dairy milk (I use rice milk)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 9″ pastry pie shell unbaked – see our recipe for vegan pie crust
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Using a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute butter, garlic, and onions until tender. Take care not to burn the garlic.
- Add mushrooms & cooked spinach, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 C cheese (set aside remaining ½ C cheese).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together vegan eggs, non-dairy milk, salt & pepper.
- Pour over spinach & mushroom mixture and combine all.
- Pour into a pre-prepared unbaked 9″ vegan pastry shell. You can use either a quiche dish or pie plate.
- Bake quiche for 15 minutes at 375º.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over quiche and continue baking for another 35-40 minutes, until pie crust begins to brown.
- Remove quiche from oven and let cool for about an hour (to set).
🥕Important – The volume of spinach will reduce a lot when cooked. You’ll need approx. 1.5 pounds fresh spinach, which will yield about 1.5 cups cooked. Make sure to thoroughly drain any excess liquid from the spinach before adding other ingredients.
🥕JUST egg vegan egg substitute is a key ingredient in this recipe. I’ve tried others, but this is the one I’ve had the most success with in this recipe. If you can’t find it in a local store or on Amazon, check the JUST egg company website.