- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning mix
- ½ red chilli flakes
- 150 g (1 cup) pearl barley, rinsed
- 1.25 (5 cups) litres vegetable stock
- 1 x 400 g (14 oz) can cannellini beans, drained
- 100 g (3.5 oz) baby spinach
- Juice of half a lemon
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven and cook the onion, carrot and celery over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for another minute until fragrant. Next, stir in the Italian seasoning and chilli flakes.
- Add the pearl barley and vegetable stock and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered with a lid, for 20-25 minutes until the pearl barley is tender.
- Add the cannellini beans and spinach and continue to simmer for 4-5 minutes until the beans are heated through, and the spinach has wilted.
- Stir in the lemon juice, season to taste and serve with extra lemon slices and crusty bread.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 340Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 1548mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 9gSugar: 12gProtein: 15g