- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish, optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a large oven-safe skillet or ovenproof dish, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until they are golden brown. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the thinly sliced onions and cook over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes, or until they are caramelized and browned. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Add minced garlic to the skillet and cook for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Pour in the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, dried thyme, dried rosemary, and dried oregano. Stir well, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Return the cooked chicken breasts to the skillet, nestling them among the caramelized onions.
- Place the skillet in the preheated oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
- Remove the skillet from the oven and sprinkle the shredded Gruyere (or Swiss) cheese and grated Parmesan cheese over the top of each chicken breast.
- Return the skillet to the oven and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- If desired, garnish with chopped fresh parsley before serving.
Serve the French Onion Chicken Bake hot with your favorite side dishes, such as mashed potatoes, rice, or a green vegetable.
Enjoy your delicious meal!