prep time: 30 MINUTES
cook time: 7 MINUTES
additional time: 2 HOURS
total time: 2 HOURS 37 MINUTES
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Onion
- 4 Zucchini
- 2 Medium sized potatoes
- 400ml of Béchamel sauce ( 1 3/4 cup )
- 300g of Breadcrumbs ( 2 cup )
- 3 Eggs
- 100g of White flour ( ½ cup + 2 tbsp )
- 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
To prepare the béchamel sauce:
- 50g White Flour ( ¼ cup + 1 tbsp )
- 50g Butter ( 3 tbsp + 2 tsp )
- 500ml of Milk ( 2 1/4 cups )
- First of all, start by boiling the potatoes in salted water until soft.
- Meanwhile, dice onions, carrots and zucchini.
- In a nonstick skillet, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and start a small sauté with the onions and carrots for about 3 minutes.
- At this point add the zucchini.
- Salt and pepper the vegetables to taste.
- Cook the vegetables for about 7/8 minutes over medium heat.
Prepare the béchamel sauce:
- In a saucepan put the butter and let it melt, over low heat so as not to risk burning it.
- When the butter melts completely, add the previously sieved flour to the butter and mix well and quickly with a whisk, to form an even mixture.
- Dilute the butter and flour mixture with the previously heated milk, adding it in a trickle and stirring constantly so it does not create any lumps.
- Continue stirring until the béchamel thickens.
- Salt and pepper the béchamel to taste, if you like you can also add a little nutmeg.
Prepare the croquette mixture:
- Mash the potatoes that we have previously boiled with a fork.
- Combine the potatoes with the vegetables and bechamel and mix well.
- Let the mixture rest in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.
Make the croquette:
- Prepare three bowls: one with the beaten egg, one with the flour, and one with the breadcrumbs.
- With wet hands form the croquettes, or you can form the croquettes with the help of two spoons.
- Then proceed to the breadcrumbs phase. The croquette is first dipped in flour, then in egg and finally in breadcrumbs.
- Continue like this until the croquette mixture is finished.
- Let the croquettes rest in the frezzer for 10 minutes before frying.
Cook the croquette:
- Fry the croquettes, a few at a time, in plenty of frying oil at a temperature of 175 °C.
- Once they are golden brown on all sides, drain them on absorbent paper to dry the excess oil.
Salt the croquettes on top and serve!