Servings: 10 slices
- 250 g (8.8 oz) raw sweet potatoes (about 1 medium-sized sweet potato)
- 175 ml (¾ cup) unsweetened almond milk (or any other plant-based milk)
- 60 g (¼ cup) coconut oil (or sub olive or vegetable oil)
- 12 tablespoons maple syrup (or sub any other sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Pinch salt
- 150 g (1 ¼ cup) ground almonds (almond meal) *
- 150 g (1 ¼ cup) gluten-free flour blend (or sub plain flour if not gluten-free)
- 50 g (½ cup) cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons baking powder (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 50 g (⅓ cup) dark chocolate chips ** (optional – ensure vegan/gluten-free if necessary)
To decorate (optional):
- Dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Cook sweet potatoes by boiling, steaming or roasting them until very soft and tender.
- Discard any skins, and add to a food processor with the milk.
- Whizz until completely smooth – you might have to mix it around a few times.
- Place the coconut oil in a large bowl and melt over a saucepan of boiling water or in the microwave (skip this step if using any other oil).
- Once melted, add the blended sweet potato mixture to the same bowl along with the maple syrup, vinegar, salt and ground almonds.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- If using, add the chocolate chips and stir in carefully.
- Transfer the mixture into a loaf tin lined with greased baking paper (use a one-pound loaf tin).
- Scatter over more chocolate chips to decorate, if desired.
- Bake in oven for around 45 minutes until risen and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Once out the oven, transfer onto a wire rack to leave to cool completely before slicing.
- Tastes best when fresh, but keeps covered in the fridge for up to a few days.
*You can alternatively use almond flour.
**For a refined sugar free version, omit the chocolate chips or use refined sugar free chocolate chips or chunks.
Nutrition FactsSweet Potato Chocolate Cake (Vegan + Gluten-Free)Amount Per ServingCalories 309Calories from Fat 144% Daily Value*Fat 16g25%Saturated Fat 8g40%Cholesterol 1mg0%Sodium 74mg3%Potassium 408mg12%Carbohydrates 41g14%Fiber 6g24%Sugar 18g20%Protein 6g12%Vitamin A 3547IU71%Vitamin C 1mg1%Calcium 186mg19%Iron 2mg11%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.