Servings: 10 slices
- 250 g (8.8 oz) raw sweet potatoes (about 1 medium-sized sweet potato)
- 175 ml (¾ cup) unsweetened almond milk (or any other plant-based milk)
- 60 g (¼ cup) coconut oil (or sub olive or vegetable oil)
- 12 tablespoons maple syrup (or sub any other sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Pinch salt
- 150 g (1 ¼ cup) ground almonds (almond meal) *
- 150 g (1 ¼ cup) gluten-free flour blend (or sub plain flour if not gluten-free)
- 50 g (½ cup) cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons baking powder (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 50 g (⅓ cup) dark chocolate chips ** (optional – ensure vegan/gluten-free if necessary)
To decorate (optional):
- Dark chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit).
Cook sweet potatoes by boiling, steaming or roasting them until very soft and tender.
Discard any skins, and add to a food processor with the milk.
Whizz until completely smooth – you might have to mix it around a few times.
Place the coconut oil in a large bowl and melt over a saucepan of boiling water or in the microwave (skip this step if using any other oil).
Once melted, add the blended sweet potato mixture to the same bowl along with the maple syrup, vinegar, salt and ground almonds.
Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
If using, add the chocolate chips and stir in carefully.
Transfer the mixture into a loaf tin lined with greased baking paper (use a one-pound loaf tin).
Scatter over more chocolate chips to decorate, if desired.
Bake in oven for around 45 minutes until risen and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
Once out the oven, transfer onto a wire rack to leave to cool completely before slicing.
Tastes best when fresh, but keeps covered in the fridge for up to a few days.
Notes*You can alternatively use almond flour.
**For a refined sugar free version, omit the chocolate chips or use refined sugar free chocolate chips or chunks.
Nutrition FactsSweet Potato Chocolate Cake (Vegan + Gluten-Free)Amount Per ServingCalories 309Calories from Fat 144% Daily Value*Fat 16g25%Saturated Fat 8g40%Cholesterol 1mg0%Sodium 74mg3%Potassium 408mg12%Carbohydrates 41g14%Fiber 6g24%Sugar 18g20%Protein 6g12%Vitamin A 3547IU71%Vitamin C 1mg1%Calcium 186mg19%Iron 2mg11%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.