- 1 lb ground beef (you can also use ground turkey or pork)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup beef or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded cheese (optional, for garnish)
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional, for garnish)
- In a large skillet or pan, cook the ground beef over medium heat until it’s no longer pink. If you’re using a lean meat like ground turkey, you might need to add a little oil to prevent sticking.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the skillet and cook for a few minutes until they become translucent and fragrant.
- Stir in the chopped cabbage, diced tomatoes (with their juices), tomato sauce, and uncooked rice.
- Pour in the beef or vegetable broth and add the paprika, thyme, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix everything well, then cover the skillet with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Let the mixture simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the cabbage is soft.
- Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary. You can also add more broth or water if the mixture becomes too thick or dry.
- If desired, sprinkle shredded cheese on top, cover the skillet, and let it melt for a few minutes.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley before serving.
Cabbage Roll Skillet is a complete meal on its own, but you can also serve it with a side salad or crusty bread if you like. Enjoy your delicious and simplified version of cabbage rolls!