For the funnel cake batter:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or a sugar substitute)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any other low-fat milk)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
For dusting (optional):
- Confectioners’ sugar (use sparingly)
- Prepare the Batter:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar (or sugar substitute), baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond milk, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Gradually pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until you have a smooth batter. Let it rest for about 10-15 minutes.
- Fry the Funnel Cake:
- Preheat a non-stick skillet or a griddle over medium heat.
- Lightly spray the skillet or griddle with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Pour a portion of the funnel cake batter into a squeeze bottle or a plastic bag with a small hole cut in one corner. This will help you control the flow of the batter.
- Squeeze the batter in a spiral pattern onto the skillet or griddle. Make sure to create a lacy, circular shape.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Once the funnel cake is cooked, remove it from the skillet or griddle.
- If desired, dust the funnel cake with a small amount of confectioners’ sugar or a sugar substitute.
- Serve the funnel cake warm and enjoy!