- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 8 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (adjust to taste)
- 2 cups of egg noodles (or your choice of pasta)
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Olive oil for sautéing
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add a little olive oil. Add the chopped onions, carrots, and celery. Sauté them for about 5 minutes or until they start to soften.
- Add the minced garlic, thyme, and rosemary. Sauté for another minute or until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken broth and water. Add the bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Stir well.
- Add the chicken breasts to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the pot and shred it using two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the pot.
- Add the egg noodles to the soup and cook according to the package instructions, usually about 7-10 minutes, until they’re tender.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
- Remove the bay leaves from the soup.
- Serve the hearty chicken noodle soup hot, garnished with chopped fresh parsley.
This recipe is just a basic guideline, and you can customize it to your preferences. You can add other vegetables like peas or corn, and you can also adjust the herbs and spices to suit your taste. Enjoy your homemade hearty chicken noodle soup!