For the onion rings:
- 1 large onion, cut into rings (peel and separate the rings)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Cooking oil for frying (such as avocado oil or coconut oil)
- Prepare the Onion Rings:
- Peel the onion and slice it into rings. Separate the rings and set them aside.
- Prepare the Breading Mixture:
- In a shallow bowl, combine the almond flour, grated Parmesan cheese, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper. Mix well to create the breading mixture.
- Dip and Bread the Onion Rings:
- Dip each onion ring into the beaten eggs, making sure it’s well coated.
- Transfer the egg-coated onion ring into the breading mixture, pressing the mixture onto the onion to adhere.
- Place the breaded onion ring on a plate or wire rack. Repeat this process for all the onion rings.
- Chill and Set:
- Place the breaded onion rings in the refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes. This will help the breading set and adhere better during frying.
- Fry the Onion Rings:
- In a skillet or frying pan, heat enough cooking oil for frying over medium heat. The oil should be hot but not smoking.
- Carefully add the breaded onion rings to the hot oil in batches, without overcrowding the pan.
- Fry the onion rings for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Use tongs to flip the onion rings halfway through cooking.
- Drain and Serve:
- Once the onion rings are fried to your desired level of crispiness, remove them from the oil and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Serve and Enjoy:
- Serve the keto-friendly fried onion rings immediately while they’re still warm and crispy.
These keto-friendly fried onion rings make for a great snack or appetizer option. They’re coated in a flavorful almond flour and Parmesan breading, making them a delicious low-carb alternative to traditional onion rings. Remember to adjust the seasonings and spices to your taste preferences.