For the Chicken:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or avocado oil for frying
For the Sauce:
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice (about 2 small oranges)
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce (for gluten-free option)
- 2 tablespoons erythritol or your preferred keto-friendly sweetener
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional, for thickening)
For Garnish (optional):
- Sesame seeds
- Sliced green onions
- In a shallow bowl, mix together almond flour, salt, and black pepper.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the beaten eggs, then coat it with the almond flour mixture, pressing gently to adhere.
- Heat the coconut oil or avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the coated chicken pieces and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside.
- In the same skillet, add the fresh orange juice, tamari or soy sauce, sweetener, apple cider vinegar, grated ginger, and minced garlic. Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- If you’d like a thicker sauce, you can sprinkle xanthan gum over the mixture and whisk it in. Allow the sauce to thicken for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken back into the skillet with the sauce, tossing to coat the chicken pieces evenly.
- Let the chicken and sauce cook together for another 2-3 minutes to meld the flavors.
- Serve the keto orange chicken over cauliflower rice or your preferred low-carb side dish.
- Optional: Garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions for added flavor and presentation.
Enjoy your keto-friendly Orange Chicken! Remember to adjust the sweetness and seasoning to your taste preferences.