- 1 pound of ground sausage (such as breakfast sausage or Italian sausage)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (red or green)
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pie crust (store-bought or homemade)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a skillet, cook the ground sausage over medium heat until it’s browned and cooked through. Use a spoon to break it into smaller pieces as it cooks. Once done, remove any excess fat.
- In the same skillet, add the chopped onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms (if using). Cook them for about 5 minutes until they become tender. If needed, drain any excess liquid from the vegetables.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, dried oregano, and dried thyme.
- Place the pie crust in a pie dish and crimp the edges if it’s not pre-formed. Spread the cooked sausage evenly in the pie crust. Sprinkle half of the Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese over the sausage.
- Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and cheese.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Place the pie dish on a baking sheet (to catch any potential spills) and bake in the preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown, and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the Monterey Sausage Pie to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
This dish is great for breakfast or brunch, and you can customize it by adding other ingredients like diced tomatoes, spinach, or jalapeños for a bit of heat. Enjoy your Monterey Sausage Pie!