- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Optional garnish: ground cinnamon or cinnamon sticks
- Rinse the Rice: Rinse the Arborio rice under cold water until the water runs clear. This helps remove excess starch and prevents the pudding from becoming too gummy.
- Combine Ingredients: In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the rinsed rice, whole milk, heavy cream, sugar, and a pinch of salt. If you’re using a vanilla bean, split it in half lengthwise and scrape the seeds into the mixture. Add the whole bean as well. If you’re using vanilla extract, add it later.
- Heat the Mixture: Place the saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to low to maintain a slow simmer. Be careful not to let it boil over.
- Cook and Stir: Continue to cook the mixture over low heat, stirring frequently, until the rice is tender and the pudding has thickened. This can take about 25-30 minutes. If you used a vanilla bean, remove it at this point.
- Add Vanilla and Cinnamon: If you’re using vanilla extract, stir it in now. Also, add the ground cinnamon and mix well.
- Serve: Remove the saucepan from the heat. Let the rice pudding cool slightly before serving. You can serve it warm or chilled, depending on your preference.
- Garnish: You can garnish your creamy cinnamon-vanilla rice pudding with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon or a cinnamon stick for an extra touch of flavor and presentation.
- Enjoy: Serve the rice pudding in individual bowls and enjoy your creamy, aromatic, and indulgent dessert.
This recipe is simple and can be customized to suit your taste. You can adjust the sweetness, cinnamon, and vanilla to your liking. Whether you enjoy it warm or cold, it’s sure to be a comforting and satisfying dessert.