- 2 large potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (or a gluten-free flour blend if preferred)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Fresh parsley or chives (optional, for garnish)
- Start by peeling and grating the potatoes. Place the grated potatoes in a clean kitchen towel or cheesecloth and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. This step is essential to make the fritters crispy.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the grated potatoes, chopped onion, flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix everything together until well combined. The mixture should have a slightly sticky consistency.
- Heat about 1/4 inch of vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, take a scoop of the potato mixture (about 1/4 cup) and flatten it slightly with your hands to form a patty. Carefully place it in the hot oil. You can fry multiple fritters at a time, but make sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Fry the fritters for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown and crispy. Use a spatula to flip them over.
- Once cooked, transfer the fritters to a plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil. Repeat the process with the remaining potato mixture.
- Serve the Vegan Onion and Potato Fritters hot, garnished with fresh parsley or chives if desired. They are delicious on their own or with a dipping sauce like vegan sour cream or ketchup.
Enjoy these crispy and savory fritters as a delightful appetizer, snack, or side dish. They’re vegan, gluten-free (if using a gluten-free flour blend), and packed with flavor, making them a crowd-pleaser for vegans and non-vegans alike.
Here’s the approximate nutrition information for one serving of Vegan Onion and Potato Fritters (assuming the recipe yields 4 servings):
- Calories: 220
- Total Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 620mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 38g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Sugars: 2g
- Protein: 4g
Please note that these nutritional values are approximate and can vary depending on the specific brands and ingredients you use, as well as the size of your fritters. The values provided here are a general estimate to give you an idea of the nutritional content.