- 1 large head of cabbage (Savoy cabbage works well)
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Sun-dried tomatoes (oil-packed, drained and chopped) or vegan cheese (grated)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Optional: whole wheat breadcrumbs
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. While the water is heating, carefully remove the cabbage leaves one by one. Cut out the tough rib from the center of each leaf to make them more pliable for rolling. Then, blanch the cabbage leaves by dipping them into the boiling water for about 2-3 minutes or until they become soft and pliable. Remove them and drain them on paper towels.
- In the same pot of boiling water, add the diced potatoes. Cook until they are tender, about 10-15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and then mash them in a bowl with minced garlic, a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Lay one cabbage leaf on a clean surface. Place a spoonful of the mashed potato mixture in the center of the leaf, and add some chopped sun-dried tomatoes or a sprinkle of vegan cheese.
- Roll up the cabbage leaf, folding in the sides as you go to form a cabbage roll. Repeat with the remaining cabbage leaves and filling.
- Place the cabbage rolls on a baking sheet coated with olive oil cooking spray. If desired, sprinkle them with a small amount of whole wheat breadcrumbs for a little crunch.
- Bake the cabbage rolls in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until they are heated through and slightly browned on top.
- Serve the tender cabbage rolls with a side salad or your favorite Weight Watchers-friendly dipping sauce.